Sunday, April 1, 2012

April "fools" day...

I've never been one to celebrate April Fools. I hate when people play jokes on me, so I don't really see the point of doing so to others. But today got me thinking of that word; fool.
If someone is labeled a fool, it's because others think they are either stupid, or silly, weird or dumb.
I thought too of our recent sermon series at church; the weird series. We talked a lot about how our "normal" culture views Christianity as "weird". It's weird because it is counter-cultural, we look and act an think differently than the rest of society. We appear stupid because we place our faith in, and base our standards on, someone who is unseen.
I started thinking, if someone wants to call me a fool cause of that- let them! If I look silly or dumb to the world, I'm ok with that, cause it probably means I look beautiful and perfect to my God.

There's a song by Nicole Nordeman about this, that I just love. Here are the lyrics. If you get a chance listen to it on YouTube.

"Fool for You"
By: Nicole Nordeman
There are times when faith and common sense do not align
When hardcore evidence of you is hard to find
And I am silenced in the face of argumentative debate
And its a long hill its a lonely climb

Cause they want proof
They want proof of all these mysteries I claim
Cause only fools believe would want to chant a dead man's name
Maybe its true, yeah but..........

Chorus:
I'll be a fool for you (fool for you)
Oh because you asked me too
A simpleton who's seemingly naive
I do believe
You came and made yourself a fool for me

I admit that in my darkest hours I've asked what if
What if we've created some kind of man made faith like this
Out of good intention, or emotional invention
And after life is through there will be no you

Cause they want proof of all these miracles I claim
Cause only fools believe that men can walk on waves
Maybe its true, yeah but.......Chorus

Unaware of popularity
Unconcerned with dignity
You've made me free
That's proof enough for me
Oh, Oh yeah...........

I'd be a fool for you (fool for you)
Oh if you ask me too
A simpleton who's only thinking of
The cause of love
I will speak Jesus' name
If that makes me crazy
They can call me great
I'm happy to be seemingly naive
I do believe you came and made yourself a fool for me

No comments:

Post a Comment