Monday, August 15, 2016

An Open Letter to my Special Students



Dear students, 

It's 3am and I can't sleep. You see, today was the first day I went back to my classroom since summer break. And now, I can't stop thinking about you. 

I'm so excited about the year ahead. We have a clean slate, a fresh start. I am excited for you to meet your new homeroom teachers, and make new friends with your classmates. I look forward to helping you get used to your new schedules and how you can best manage all of your new materials. 

My mind is racing as I think about how I can organize my classroom to best support your needs. I think about the reading groups we will have, the writing workshops, and the math practice. I think about how I can provide your test accommodations, and what classroom routines we will want to set in place. I am already planning what I will say when I meet with your classroom teachers to talk about you. 

I think about all the goals you will work towards this year. I am excited to have you fill our your data folders so you can see your progress.  I look forward to celebrating your successes, no matter how big or small. I am anxious for the day I can tell you, "You met your goal!" It will be so great when we can write new goals. 

 I imagine how we will get through those tough days when you say "I can't do it." And I hope and pray that we can make it  through together. I promise you I will do my best to encourage you and give you the tools you need to be successful. I will stand up for you, even when you don't stand up for yourself. 

I also wonder how we will get through those tough days when I think, "I can't do this!" And I hope and pray we can make it through together! I ask you to be patient with me when I get frustrated. Please help me be joyful always, and forgive me when I mess up. 

No doubt we have hours and hours of hard work ahead of us. There will be tears. There will be mistakes. But there will also be laughter, and those "aha" moments when we finally get it. There will be times when I look at you and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Because I will look at you and see all of the amazing things that make you you.  Those are the moments that make it all worth it. 

So, my wonderful, unique, beautiful students, I must say thank you. Thank you for letting me be a part of your life. 

This year is going to be awesome. 
Let's do this. Let's make it count. 
Together. 

With love, 
Your resource room teacher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment