Thursday, September 9, 2010

Morning Reading Time

My favorite part of the day, is morning reading time. Every day after snack recess, the children come in and i invite them to gather on the rug. I proceed to read to them a selection of picture books.
The reason this is my favorite time, is twofold. First, it is SO FUN! Second, it is so beneficial!
The students and I enjoy the books we read together. Reading time provides the students daily exposure to print, as well as modeling of reading strategies. The camaraderie between the students and I helps deepen our relationships with one another.

Today we read the book, "Diary of a Worm."
This book was so great! The students loved the jokes and funny instances. Also, we had the chance to talk about diaries and what they are. All eyes and ears were on me while reading, the fun facts included in this book interested students, and the layout made it easy for me to read with much expression.
I would highly recommend this book for any lower elementary classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment